Chuck France is a United States Cinematographer and award winning documentary/editorial still photographer. Chuck grew up in small town of Ozark, Missouri deep in heart of the Southwest Missouri Ozarks region. He attended and graduated from University of Northern Colorado with a degree in History with double minors in Psychology and Anthropology. Although knowing he wanted to be behind a camera since he was 12 years old he did not pursue that career until 2000. First starting in film production doing production department, art department, grip and lighting and camera then a still photographer working for a variety of new services and served as Photographer then Chief Photographer for The University of Kansas for six years. Deciding to go back at full time freelancing and pursue his passion of cinematography, he's currently working in film production as a Cinematographer but picks up his still camera almost every day.
Statement: Photographs and photography, whether still or motion, are about capturing a split second in time that you can never get back. It's about dancing with light and shadow and telling a visual story that is true to the subject. It's about telling a good story and being a storyteller. It's about reaching across divides to communicate with people in this unwritten language in a way which we all see. I believe in those moments that can make us notice all the good and not so good things in the world. The moments that make us cry, rips out our hearts, make us laugh and has the ability to heal. Images, good images, cross divides, builds bridges, knocks down walls....it is a language we all speak.
For work availability call 785-979-7096. He currently resides in Los Angeles.
I've won some awards and have been published...etc. Below is a partial list of folks that I had or have the pleasure and privilege to work with in capturing moments and telling stories.
- Ricoh Imaging - Photo of the Week - Ricoh Imaging official Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Featured by Sigma Cine Lenses on their social media for lenses used on a Western genre tv pilot
- CASE - numerous awards for photography either solo or part of a team
- Photos permanently curated VSCO official company grid
- Featured photos at the Momentage blog "Weekend Re-craft"
- University Daily Kansan "A look into their lens." (feature story on the KU University Relations Photo/Video Team)
- Olympus VISIONAGE at Photo District News online (feature story for Olympus) pdf file
- Olympus VISIONAGE "Behind the Shot" at Photo District News online (shot story/Pro tips) pdf file
- Kansas Press Association - runner-up spot news (fire coverage)
Partial Client List:
- Getty Images
- Food Network
- Pearson Educational
- The University of Kansas
- Scholastic, Inc.
- NBC News
- Aurora Photos/Novus Select
- Oracle Magazine
- American Bar Association Journal
- The Associated Press
- Healthy Living Magazine
- The Kansas City Star
- The Wall Street Journal
- Mario V. Chalmers Foundation
- Jacksonville University
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- The American Federation of Teachers
- Emory University
- The Topeka Capital Journal
- Kansas Action for Children
- City Butcher
- Baker University
Film Production Credits/Work
- Dogwood Pass (TV series pilot-Garnet Films) staring Michael Pare
- Moonshiners - Discovery
- A Season with Navy Football (Showtime)
- The Great American Read (PBS)
- 60 Days In - Bravo Network
- Our Kids (PBS)
- You Can't Turn That Into a House (FYI)
- 90 Day Fiance - TLC Network
- Welcome to Sweetie Pies - Oprah Winfrey Network
- Swerved - WWE Network
- WWTV Chicago
- Fox Sports/Firestone tv commerical
- Nick Canon Wild n Out - MTV 2
- The Grill Dads - Food Network
- Hotel Impossible - Travel Channel
- Undercover Boss - CBS
- Missouri Lottery - Television commercial
- The Weight -Feature film
- Treehouse Masters - Animal Planet
- Wal-Mart - Television commercials - numerous (5 years)
- Sonic - Television commercials
- Blue Cross Blue Shied - TV commercials (production, grip/lighting
- Empire Bank - Television commercials
- Butler Bootcamp - TV pilot for David Levy (late Robert Altman's producing partner) Best Boy Grip
- Ambrose Bierce - Civil War Stories - Feature film
- Raising Jeffrey Dahmer - Feature film
- Travis Tritt - GAC Network
- Blue Bunny Ice Cream - Television commercial
- Microsoft/MSN & Buick - Web series
- Pearson Educational - Corporate
- Wildberry Productions - Documentaries - Productions
News & Updates
Kim Henderson - Managing Editor - Healthy Living Magazine
"Chuck came through originally on a last-minute cover shot we needed for Healthy Living magazine. He delivered! So we had him do another cover for us. He has a great editorial eye and produces compelling images with depth. He's a pro through and through. You can absolutely rely on him to get the job done."
Karen Raffensperger - Producer - CBS Evening News
"Chuck responds quickly and with what we need. He is editorially and visually adept, as well as being a pleasure to work with.
Todd Cohen - Director of Communications and Outreach at Great Outdoors Colorado
"Chuck has an eye for capturing that amazing photo, notably its composition and lighting, that will make the image even more powerful and emotive. He also has the chops for video. That talent comes with great energy, enthusiasm and a good heart."
Charlie Persinger - Director, Ceremonies & Special Events, The University of Kansas
"I highly recommend Chuck France. As the official photographer at KU, Chuck is called upon to capture all university events. He does so in the most efficient and unobtrusive manner; one does not even realize he is around. Yet he captures images that can be used in future promotions, marketing initiatives, websites, and given to VIP's after events. Chuck is extremely easy to work and communicate with and he makes contact before events to see what type of photos we would like to have taken, which is greatly appreciated. I believe Chuck to be the ultimate professional and an artist with the camera. I would also share that he is always willing to share his knowledge with young students interns and his colleagues."
Hedda Colossi - Senior Editorial Assistant - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
"Chuck is a top-notch photographer who I have had the pleasure of working with on several occasions. He brings not only a great breadth of experience and creativity, but he's completed the assignments on time and on budget. He has a strong sense of context within a photograph, and is personable and professional. I highly recommend him for any photographic or photojournalistic event."
Bill Delehant - Production Coordinator Pearson Educational
"Chuck took direction very well and his creative input was deeply valuable. He added value to our video shoot with great stills and was instrumental in its success."
Brad Slaughter - Partner at Bark Productions / 19 Below
"Chuck has been a solid freelance option for our company over the years. He's proven to be diligent, personable and a responsible member of the team."
John Masson - Art Director/Graphic Designer - Baker University
"As a graphic designer, I always appreciated Chuck's ability to understand the design concept of a project and provide excellent photography. We would always count on him to not only take direction, but also to take his creativity to the next level. Chuck is professional and I always enjoyed working with him."
Almarie Chalmers - Independent Professional Training/Coaching & Event Planner - Mario V Chalmers Foundation
"Chuck does superior work, very prompt as well as professional and always works well with staff and clients."
Corey Stone - User Experience Designer - Kleinfelder
" Chuck is a great photographer who also has good people skills and an IT background. He's a reliable and friendly asset to any team, and I throughly enjoyed working with him."
Debra Hedden - Professor - The University of Kansas
"Chuck is first and foremost a wonderful person. He is pleasant, accommodating, and does excellent work. I would recommend him for any photographic work at KU. I have enjoyed his friendship and attention to getting photographic results."
Steve Rottinghaus - Director of Public Relations Baker University
"Chuck France has all the qualities you look for in a photographer. He is creative, imaginative, captures emotion and is a true professional, always producing inspiring images. During his time as lead photographer at Baker University, he was easy to work with and consistently produced quality work for our alumni magazine and other promotional pieces. Chuck always stays current on technology and strives to be better every day."
Greg Peters - Photo Assignment Editor - The Kansas City Star
"Chuck does a great job of delivering his work on time and under budget. He's always looking for ways to grow his abilities and improve the quality of the photographs that he provides for his clients."